Saints Invited to Bid on Super Bowls
The New Orleans Saints are being invited to bid on the 2019 and 2020 Super Bowls after the club came a short in its bid to host Super Bowl LII. Atlanta, Miami and Tampa Bay are also receiving invitations from the NFL’s Super Bowl selection committee in the final session of the annual league meetings in San Francisco attended by Saints president Dennis Lauscha. The Super Bowl locations for the 2019 and 2020 games will be awarded at next May’s meetings. Saints’ owner Tom Benson said in a statement, “We are excited to be once again invited, and I am confident that our city leaders and the hospitality community will come together and put forth our best bid,” said Benson. He went on to say, “New Orleans is a Super Bowl favorite city and has been for many years.”
In other developments, a New Orleans judge ruled Tuesday that the courtroom will be closed for the trial of a lawsuit pitting Tom Benson against his daughter and her children, who are questioning the Saints and Pelicans owner’s mental capacity. The trial which is set for June 1 follows a mental evaluation performed on Benson earlier this year by three doctors.
In a roster move, the Saints have parted ways with veteran place kicker Shayne Graham, who connected on 19-of-22 field goal attempts last season. At the moment, the Black & Gold kicking game is a battle between Zach Hocker and Dustin Hopkins, a couple of unknown commodities. Wide receiver Lance Lewis, six-foot, 207-pounds, who spent last season with the San Francisco 49ers practice squad, takes Graham’s roster spot.